Tuesday, July 03, 2007

My Last Act of Assistance

Last week makred my final week working with Dave Graffenberger. On Tuesday I traveled down to Albany to spend the night at his house and perform my final duties for him. On the schedule was a 2 hour crash course photography lesson for his grandson Levi and a long overdue fly fishing lesson for Dave. Dave had actually asked for his fly fishing lesson last summer, but neither of us found the time to get it done. We didn’t want that to happen again this year so we marked it on our calendar and carried it out as if it were our final trip.


Dave and I got some fishing in on Tuesday night and then again early Wednesday morning. The reality was I didn’t prove to be a very good teacher. Most of the time was spent reacquainting myself with my fly poles and trying to remember just what I was suppose to be doing. This was my first chance to fly fish in over 5 years. In the end, Dave didn’t catch anything and I caught just 2 fish. Even though the fishing was slow it was an awesome way to spend our final time together and enjoy God’s beauty. At one point while we were fishing, a deer walked out on the river bank behind us and stood there watching us for quite some time. No doubt this will be one of my lasting memories of Oregon and Dave Graffenberger as I now look at packing up my stuff and moving to Indiana.

No comments: